Lots of rumors going around the net, now that E3 is only three weeks away (June 5-7, 2012). Retro Studios has been working on something at least since they helped with the tracks in Mario Kart 7. A rumor from over a year ago claimed that they were working on a project everyone wanted them to do. This drove a lot of speculation. Now, the same site that had that rumor now has another. According to this very detailed rumor, Retro Studios has been working on a game that stars both Samus and Fox McCloud in what is probably the first real story-related crossover by Nintendo and its IPs (not counting Mario & Sonic games, the Smash Bros. Series, and the occasional cameo appearances all over the place).
- Some high-speed warp causes Fox's Arwing to collide with Samus's Jumpship
- Samus crash lands, loses all her upgrades (seriously, get some super glue, Samus!), and must explore the planet
- Fox remains in space and proceeds to have numerous space-based battles
- Eventually the pair meet up, Fox is controlled third-person style, will be more ninja like in movement style
- Andross is using Metroids on himself and army somehow
- The working title is: "Star Fox – Metroid: Fusion Saga"
Personally, I don't think I'm alone in thinking this sounds like it came straight out of FanFiction.net. While Metroid and Star Fox are probably the most universe-compatible of Nintendo's series, I don't see it happening. Then again, popular knowledge also said that Mario and Sonic would never be in a game together, and that non-Nintendo characters would never be in a Smash Bros. game. Crazier things have happened. As for Retro Studios and Star Fox, I think it's easily possible and even likely that Retro Studios is working on Star Fox, regardless of this rumor. They've proven themselves with more than one of Nintendo's IPs in the past.