GameXplain was invited to a special presentation of Starlink in New York and got a chance to try out a bunch more of the game. In a series of videos, they talk about what they found. I summarize the interesting tidbits below.
- Once again, you can play as Fox throughout the entire game, not just some missions.
- There are some exclusive Star Fox only missions as well.
- The primary thrust of the Star Fox missions are tracking down Wolf.
- In one mission, they are investigating a dig site that Wolf attacked.
- In another, the team attacks a space outpost under Wolf's control.
- Fox's "Special Ability" in combat is to call in the rest of the Star Fox team to assist him.
- If your ship is shot down, you can restart. Alternatively, you can pop on another ship and continue playing from there, which means having multiple ships gives a small advantage.
- Multiplayer is seamless drop-in-drop-out. A friend can join you on missions just by grabbing a controller and the game goes to splitscreen mode.
- The Star Fox missions are spread out on different planets, not all in one area.
- The Wolf cutscene we saw previously was just part of a larger scene.
- Wolf has some kind of installation at a place named "Tundria", which appears to be an ice planet.
- The Starlink ships have stackable parts, so you can have a wing on a wing on a wing, and so on.
- You can put more weight on one wing than another and it will affect flight.
- Wolf is in Atlas in order to find something called "Electrum", and he has hired a bunch of local goons to be his muscle.
- As far as they know, you cannot play as Falco, Slippy, or Peppy.
- You cannot shoot down Slippy (or any other teammate) when they come to assist you. They tried.
- It appears that some of the slower performance of the Switch version might have been addressed with these more recent builds.
- Wolf seems to be straight up cool in this game. Actually, all the characters seem to be putting their best foot forward. It's nice to see!
- Remixed versions of classic Star Fox song are used in some areas and events.
- The game has multi-part missions. First you're attacking a base turrets, then you attack fighters, then a boss ship, then base recon.