Ayano Harumaki's Krystal cosplay is made up of a zentai suit, a Krystal mask, a tail, and a staff. All of these are very realistic to the character, right down to the markings on the staff and thigh. A Japanese resident, Ayano has attended previous furry conventions in America and Japan. This suit was worn at Further Confusion in 2010, 2011, and 2013. Ayano plans to costume as Krystal once again in 2014 wearing a Star Fox Assault costume with a replica gatling gun.
Ken Singshow, a friend of Ayano, graciously answered several of my questions about Ayano and the suit.
- Made of furred cloth, with the tattooed and other white areas of fur sewed into holes cut in the main blue suit. The cloth is still skin tight despite its thickness.
- The mask was made of fiberglass reinforced plastic by a Japanese artist named yamaneko-ya.
- The staff was also made by yamaneko-ya. It is made from plumbing piping and the end parts are carved and painted balsa wood.
- The armor is made by lamination of hard urethane sponge plate and gold-colored vinyl sheets. The engravings on them were drawn with a solder iron on the sponge plate prior to lamination. The armor was commissioned by a cosplay costume studio.
- The sandals are modified crocs.
- Further Confusion 2010 was Ayano's debut of the suit. So far, Ayano has only worn it at Further Confusion events and private photo shoots.
- The tail has been modified since its first appearance. It now has rotation joints and a more fluffy appearance.
- The suit has no 'bits' under the clothing, which is fortunate in light of a couple mild wardrobe malfunctions.
- Work is progressing on an Assault-style jumpsuit and gatling gun.
- Ayano does not speak while in costume, which is a common practice among fursuiters.
- Ayano does not speak English at all, frequently relying on hand gestures and nearby friends to translate.
- Ayano has previously cosplayed as Meeya-Meeya, Renamon, Mrs. Hudson, and Mithra at other conventions.
- Ayano doesn't want to be too high profile in the furry fandom at this time.
- Ayano's day job is as a mascot at an amusement park: lots of practice.
Thanks to Kat the Leopardess, Rabbitinthem00n, Foxtype1973, Ken Singshow, Ayano Harumaki, and everyone else who has provided information about this cosplay.
Ken Singshow's 2011 Backyard Photoshoot Video
Shot just before Further Confusion 2011 in Ken's backyard
Shot while taking a photos of Ayano just a few days after Further Confusion 2010 in Ken's backyard.
Rabbitinthem00n's Walkaround Video
2010 Fursuit Parade Clips
Ayano in the Further Confusion 2010 Fursuit Parade from various angles
Images credited to Shep, lynard, DustormCloud, KiloCharlie, WhiteTiger117, RNCoyote, TimothyBH, KenSingshow, drjohnsmith, Ultra-Gor, raverkitty21, psycoewok, foxgrrl, monoceroset, cloudchaserpony, EraAngelus, brown_wolf, Furox, Ross Gressick, critter.net user, Lionel Lum, almightytora, furkitfox, pup ajax, Bay Area Sports Drive, Skitzo Kitty, Saberfire, foxworth42, captainminosa, Gushousekai195.