Star Fox 2 Interview Dylan Cuthbert
Dylan Cuthbert, a prominent Star Fox creator since the very first game, has just given an interview at Nintendo Life about his work on Star Fox 2 and the direction they were headed. Lots of little tidbits about Star Fox 2 and the Star Fox series were sprinkled throughout. Read the whole article for the full story, but I've summarized the things that I believe constitutes new information.
- Star Fox 2 was 95% complete when it was cancelled, but the team went ahead and finished it, complete with play testing and bug fixes. Nintendo still has it in playable form. They could release it tomorrow, in theory, except for potential legal issues with Argonaut Software.
- The versions of Star Fox 2 that were leaked were very early test versions. Much of the game's unique features are missing or unfinished.
- Mr. Miyamoto was very interested in the 3D platforming sections of Star Fox 2 (the Arwing could transform into a mech), and some of their ideas might have served as key inspiration for ideas eventually seen in Super Mario 64.
- The random, open playfields and levels, and the missile encounters of Star Fox Command were intended for Star Fox 2. But Command's dev focus was on using the two touch screens in unique ways, not reviving Star Fox 2's ideas directly.
- Cuthbert thought that the toned down color scheme of Star Fox 64 was a tragedy, but the cinematic feel, the 60 fps speed, and the voice acting made it an overall superior game to the original Star Fox, all technology capabilities being equal.
- Cuthbert is as interested to see where the next Star Fox game for the Wii U is going as we are. He is primarily concerned with Nintendo getting the controls just right and retaining the cinematic feel of previous games.
Wish that it had come out. Hell I still have my SNES and it still works haha!
I have a SNES emulator of Starfox 2 on my Wii given from a friend and it was worth it. ^^
Nice! I gotta get it somehow. Lol only starfox game I haven’t played.
this outa be good, for all the stuff that we’ve seen throughout the series i’m very keen to see were this goes.
They should work out the legal details and release/sell it on Virtual Console.
I bought a repro cart of Star Fox 2 on ebay and uploaded a full playthrough of the game on the actual hardware… you can watch it here if interested! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXIrVYiHLb8
Cool! I will be sure to watch it.
aw, I really wish they had gone into more detail about the differences between the leaked and the final build versions. It makes me REALLY want to play the proper version now!