Star Fox Assault Version Differences: Aparoid Shot
It's finally here! I've begun real work on bringing Star Fox Assault video content to you in glorious 4K. This video is a 4K remake of the Shot Difference Video from 2007, originally posted more than 10 years ago! In the Japanese version of Assault, the first encounter Aparoid shoots at Slippy. But in the English version, Krystal is the target of the attack. Not only is this version in 4K, it shows some interesting details in other parts of the scene. What details? Watch the video and find out! I think you'll find it amusing.
I'm going to attempt to bring one new Star Fox Assault cutscene to you per week until they're done. There are still a lot of things to consider:
- Text glitching with Dolphin - I found a way to fix it, but it causes glitches with pre-rendered cutscenes
- Wide-screen glitches - I'm still investigating
- Japanese animation differences - I will probably record both the English and Japanese versions of those scenes, and also make another set of videos where I combine the Japanese animation with the English dub and text
- 30fps in-game cutscenes - It seems that in Star Fox Assault, during the in-game cutscenes, the game switches to rendering duplicates every other frame, making the video effectively 30fps (lame)
- Pre-rendered cutscene size - The pre-rendered cutscenes are exactly 640 by 448 pixels. The quality will never get better than that. I'm thinking of uploading a 1 to 1 pixel version, as well as an upscaled version of each one
Try the cutscene where the team is jumping on their arwings and put a frame cap at around 1-5 fps. There’s a lot of details from face expressions to animation errors
At the 2:28 mark, I think I flipped. Someone needs to make a patch for that. It defies all known laws of physics, time, space, and… And… AND HOW LIFE WORKS!!! But, space animals can do any thing.
Some thing I noticed on an off note, my fan-character, Ace O’Donnell, looks kinda like Undyne from Undertale with the hair. I might add some character traits, but having Trash Queen voice her is to harsh.
that bit at the end looks like somebody forgot your not supposed to animate the character node or something like that happons.
it also happons if you forget to put in a core node I’ve done it, it makes the game glitch like that.
Is that running in full widescreen? I’m not noticing any off-screen occlusion culling, unless the cutscene doesn’t do that…
I was running it in widescreen with the code that attempts to fix the occlusion culling. However, cutscenes generally don’t have the pop-in problem anyway.