It's that time of year again, Nintendo fans! Nintendo will be doing its E3 presentation and livestreams in just 14 days! Nintendo has announced the time of their initial presentation: June 13th at 9AM pacific (12PM eastern). We already know from Nintendo's announcements that the new Super Mario Odyssey, a sandbox 3D Mario game, will be the main focus. There will also be international competitions for both Splatoon 2 and ARMS. Of course, after the initial presentation, there will be dozens of hours of streaming coverage of all games announced or playable throughout the rest of the week.
What about rumors?
- I think it's pretty much given that Nintendo will officially release the awaited Summer DLC for Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
- The long-anticipated Smash 4 port for Nintendo Switch is rumored to be announced at the show.
- The worst-kept secret game in Nintendo's recent memory, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, might also see a reveal this year.
- The third version of the current-gen Pokémon game (to go with Pokémon Sun and Moon) has been rumored to be a Switch version since before the Switch was released. Perhaps we will see that.
- Retro Studios has been quiet. They have been working on something, but what? Some rumors say it's a new Metroid. Others say it's a brand new IP. Maybe it's both?
- Whether it's Retro Studios or not, many fans are chomping at the bit for a new Metroid staring Samus Aran. Nintendo will probably say something about the series.
- What about Star Fox? Well, I think 2018 is realistically the earliest we could see anything, but who knows? Perhaps Nintendo will use what they learned with Star Fox Zero to quickly turn around a new game (or a port it with a very different control scheme). Consider that Majora's Mask was built in only one year.
As always, I plan to be on chat with you guys the entire week as we watch the coverage of not just Nintendo, but the whole of the gaming industry. The one wrinkle is that I will be on a business trip during E3 week, so I might not be able to spend all that much time in chat. I should still be able to see the Nintendo presentation live, however.
Streams and information will be found on Nintendo's E3 page leading up to and during the event. I will make announcements about chat later. For now, I've added an event listing to the top of the navigation bar on the left.